A cookie is a small text file that is sent to the browser and saved on the user’s terminal when the latter visits a website.
Cookies can be divided into:
- session cookies (temporary cookies that remain in the cookie folder of the user’s browser until the browsing session ends);
- persistent cookies (cookies that remain in the browser cookie folder for a longer time, depending on the duration of each cookie).
Due to the purposes, cookies can also be distinguished as follows:
- technical cookies (used for the sole purpose of transmitting a communication over an electronic communication network, or as strictly necessary for the provider of an information society service explicitly requested by the user to provide this service);
- analytical cookies (cookies used for statistical analysis of the use of the site and to monitor its correct functioning);
- profiling cookies (aimed at creating profiles related to the user and used in order to send advertising messages in line with the preferences shown by the user in the context of web browsing)
Finally, it is possible to distinguish between cd cookies. first part – received from the site that the user is visiting – and cd cookies. of third parties – ie cookies received from sites or web servicers other than the site that the user is visiting.